Thursday, June 30, 2011

I need advice!!

Okay, so I'm hoping my wonderful cousins and aunt will read this because they've all had babies and they seem to know what they're doing. (Same goes to all my friends who've had kids...but I don't think any of those people read my blogs).
Pfff... let me start over. If you've had kids or know anyone who's had kids, please read this predicament and let me know what to do. Haha. Here it goes...

When Mia gets here I'm probably only going to be able to do laundry once a week. It sounds crazy, I know, but I don't have my own washer and dryer. I have to go to my in-law's house to do it on the weekends. They smoke and I'm worried to death about bringing the baby over there too often so chances are, at least for the first little while, Sean will be going over solo to do laundry on his day off and they can visit Mia at my house whenever they want to see her.

This being said, I'm at a loss as far as how many clothes of what sizes I'll need to have for her. Keep in mind, she'll be born in September (assuming all goes according to plan) and, as far as I know, Septembers in Oklahoma aren't super cold, but aren't too hot either.

First question -- How many onsies or outfits do babies wear in a day, typically? I'm going to go ahead and assume that Mia's going to spit up quite a bit because my mom and dad tell me I did all the time. I'm hoping there won't be too many leaky diapers, but who knows...
Also --  How many light blankets should I have? I really only have one right now. I have a big one that my grandmom made me. I'm planning on using that to lay on the floor so she's not on the nasty apartment carpet....that and to snuggle with her on the couch or something (aww I can't wait to snuggle my baby).
Also also (haha) -- How many fitted crib sheets should I have on hand? I've read a lot of moms will put a few layers on the crib mattress, separated by leak-proof padding that way if there's a diaper leak in the middle of the night I don't have to worry about changing sheets..I just strip off a layer.

If it helps, so far I have the following:
Premie:: 1 long sleeve onsie
0-3 Months:: 9 short sleeve onsies, 2 long sleeve onsies, 3 pants, 3 cute outfits
3-6 Months:: 8 short sleeve onsies (they looks small to me, but I'll go by the tag), 1 shirt, 1 pants, 4 shorts, 1 cute outfit
0-6 Months:: 5 sleepers
6+ Months:: 1 outfit
10 bibs; 16 washcloths; 10 pairs of socks; 6 burp cloths; a bathrobe; a pair of mittens; a beanie; a fitted matteress sheet and breathable bumpers;; I'm pretty sure that's it. :P

Most of the clothes were hand me downs and random donations from a friend, which is why there is an uneven number of pants to shirts. lol.
What more should I get and what do you think I'll be okay on?

Thanks so much for your help. I'm probably over thinking everything, but I'm a typical worried first time mommy and I want to be overly prepared rather than under prepared.  I really do appreciate any advice you have for me. :)

Also, if you have had baby girls and you don't think you'll be having any more...you can totally donate any unwanted clothes or blankets or...pretty much anything you don't want or need any more.  :P Let me know if you need my address. 

Love you all, and thanks again for the advice!

4 comments:

Lace said...

save all your knowledge for when i have kids bahahaha IF i have kids mmmmk? sorry I got nothing for you, no children but from what i hear they're quite messy!

The Piet Girls said...

Hey Erica! I only do laundry once a week because I refuse to do it more. Here's what I would do. Don't worry.
Wait and see what you receive as gifts. Babies honestly don't need much. Buy cute onesies and little elastic softy pants. Get a pack of bibs for the spit up and have her wear those if she's a spitter. Get cloth diapers and use those for burp rags for your shoulder. They are cheap and can absorb and wipe up quite a bit. Blake usually goes through one outfit a day unless there's a blow out. He has 2-3 pair of jammies (which in this heat is a onesie). And definitely layer the crib with a blanket. It's so much easier than changing sheets in the middle of the night. 2 crib sheets is plenty! Definitely get a pack of receiving blankets.
Also my best advice.... Don't buy too many bigger sizes now. You don't know what size she will be or how fast she will grow. Just get basics for newborn and 0-3 months. As you see how she grows then you'll know what to buy. Blake is 4 months and wears 9 month clothes. You just never know so don't waste your money.
I bet you are getting so excited!!! Can't wait to see her.
And ....... Don't worry!

Erica said...

Lacy, I will definitely help you out when that time comes for you :) I've made a conscious effort to write EVERYTHING down either here in my blog or in her baby book or in my journal (that way I can help out my friends and sister when they have babies).
Gina, you are a life saver!! I'm definitely doing everything you just suggested. Thank you!! (And yes, I'm VERY excited...and very nervous. I can't believe there's only 2 months left to wait!!)

Designs By Rachael said...

Hey Erica, i came across your blog today and read this post and thought id offer some help. :)

i think its awesome that you have at least one premie peice. my son was born a month early and he was 5 pounds 7 ounces when we brought him home from the hospital, and he was swimming in newborn sized clothing so we had to make an extra trip to the store to get him some premie things. its best to be prepared. i think you have a decent collection of items so far. but definitely get some bibs and some more recieving blankets.

babys can tend to get colder faster than adults, so light blankets are good to have handy. im not sure what the temps are like where you live (i live in washington state and its pretty cold here most of the time) but my son was born july 11th of last year and it was rather warm and he still needed a light blanket sometimes.

also, dont always go by the sizes that the tags say, ive found some brands run bigger than others but theyll say the same size. faded glory seemed to run a little big, and carters also.

my son was (and still is) a spitter. bibs were saviors for me, they saved me from having to change him every time, although he still would go through two shirts a day sometimes even more. the cloth diaper idea is awesome, its what my mom used.

overall i would say stick with onsies and the little pants with the elastic waist bands, that way if the baby gets a little warm you can take the pants off super easy, and i found they were more comfortable for my son especially before his umbillical cord came off (after two weeks).

over all dont worry! things will be just fine. i didnt get a chance to have a baby shower, and ended up having my son early and i was still prepared for the most part. :) im so excited for you!! :)