Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Life With A Newborn

It's been a whole week since Mia was born, can you believe it?! Time really flies when your days and nights are completely jumbled together :) Surprisingly enough, I can function fairly well on almost no sleep.

Mia had her first doctor's appointment today. She weighs 7lbs now and is still 20 inches long. (Which means we're both doing really well as far as breast feeding goes. I had a bit of a fear that she wasn't getting enough to eat and I'd have to give her formula. I'm so glad that we've gotten the hang of nursing.) The doctor says she looks healthy, happy, and extremely loved. Unless we have any problems, she goes back in a month for her next check up. Not that I had any doubts, but it's really nice to hear that I'm doing a good job as a mommy from her doctor. (Okay, maybe I had a teeny tiny fear that I wouldn't be a good mommy, but Sean says that's just because it's something I really want to succeed at). Anyway...

Everyone was right; having a baby changes everything. Now, my days goes about like this...
I go to sleep around 11pm. Sean is awake while I sleep and plays on the computer; if Mia decides she doesn't want to sleep after I feed her, she'll hang out on his lap while he plays....if not, she sleeps in her bassinet. She is usually hungry every 2 or 3 hours so I get up around 1 or 2 to change and feed her then I go back to bed for another 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Sean usually comes to bed before I get up a second time around 4 or 5. Once I get up this time, I usually stay up (hence why I'm writing this blog entry at 6:30). Mia gets changed, has breakfast, and goes back to sleep (lucky ducky). Then I grab something for breakfast and either play on the computer or zone out to the TV until Sean wakes up. Once in a while, I'll fall asleep on the couch but for the most part, whatever sleep I got during the night is enough to keep me going for a while. From there, I don't really have much of a routine. Mia wakes up when she's hungry, I change her diaper before I feed her, and when I'm done feeding her she usually goes back to sleep. Occasionally she'll stay awake after she eats and make faces at me, but most of the time she just sleeps, eats, and poops. Sean helps out when he can, but since he can't feed her there's not a whole lot he can do. He helps around the apartment, brings me water and food when I've got my hands full with the baby, and listens to my craziness when the hormone monster attacks :P He's also our chauffeur since I'm not allowed to drive (I've been taking pain killers and driving under the influence isn't my style). He's really excited for her to start staying awake longer so they can play together. :)
I could probably sleep a lot more than I do...but after I feed her I have a habit of sitting on the couch with her sleeping in my arms. I lose track of time and by the time I realize I could have gone to bed and gotten some sleep, it's about time for her to wake up again. I would never take my eyes off her if I had the choice.
All in all, life is really great. I love Mia more than I ever thought I could love anyone. I'm not quite sure how I lived my life without her because it seems so complete now that she's in it.

 She makes silly faces at me already...
And she sleeps in the funniest positions. :P

No comments: