Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tough Morning

So I was going to post something quick about this on FaceBook but I decided I don't want the people who live here in Oklahoma to read it and I don't think they read my blog. If they do....hi guys! Sorry you had to join in on the pity party and sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining....but I am, so deal with it or quit reading now.

It's obvious that I'm home sick. I've been home sick since the day I moved here. Normally it's not too bad, but this month there are quite a few birthdays in my family. This means they're having lots of fun get togethers with everyone and, for the first time in my life, I'm not there to celebrate with them. It's funny. When you do the same thing every year (ie going to grandma's house to celebrate my sister and grandma's birthday with dinner, cake, and ice cream) you kind of stop realizing what a special event it is. Now that I'm half way across the country, I realize just how special this time with family is and it makes me so sad that I can't be there. My mom called me and left a message on my phone (because I never hear my phone when it rings lol) telling me how my sister came over and my other grandma was visiting. She happened to mention how much she's missing me and how it would have been fun if I were there to celebrate birthdays with them.  Even missing out on a night of snacks and conversation with my mom and grandma makes me sad. It's not nearly the same as talking on the phone (which I do with everyone in my family quite often).

Anyway. That's my sad story of the day. It makes it extra hard when everyone tells me how much they miss me and how often they're thinking of me, wishing I was there. It's also extra hard that my family here in Oklahoma (Sean's parents, brother, uncles, cousins, etc) don't really get together the way my family does. Sure, we're over at his parents' house every weekend to do laundry (I HATE not having my own washer and dryer). But I would hardly call that spending time with them. Most of the time, they're doing their thing and we're doing ours (watching tv, reading, playing on the computer, etc). Their extended family doesn't really get together very often either. (Which is really weird to me because Sean's aunt, uncle, and one of his cousins lives next door to his parents). I'm not sure if they just don't get along or if they're just not the "get togther" type of family.
All I know is when my aunt, uncles, cousins, or whoever are in town it's a BIG deal and we always make sure to get together.

I think I tried to finish my "sad story" and then I kept going. Oh well. I'm really done now. I'm gonna go find some lunch and call my mommy back.
Wish me luck holding back the tears while I'm talking.

No comments: